There’s little doubt that technology has changed our lives, the way we are influenced and how we influence others. But for marketing, it’s more than just doing the same old thing using new tools. Thus, Social Media is basically designed to reach an audience ONLINE. Traditional Marketing is designed to reach an audience OFFLINE. Conventional Marketing is done through newspapers, TV advertisements, Radios etc. Below are the few points which can distinguish the Social Media Marketing with Conventional Media Marketing:
- 2-Side V/S n-Side: Conventional Media marketing is mostly a two sided conversation , a TV commercial or advertisement specified for the target audiences while Social Media marketing is an n-sided conversation which can be shared with everyone and there can be to and fro flow of information in the smallest possible time. Hence Social Media Marketing is the most elegant and efficient way of advertisement with broader reach.
- Lateral Platform “Noone has a Bigger Voice”: Social Media is a platform where content is created collaboratively. Noone has a bigger voice than anybody else. If a consumer comments are writes about any of the updates of the company than only, the content is created or aggregated. In conventional marketing techniques, this may not hold true. The big banners and the big brand ambassadors may outnumber the number of complaints or dissatisfaction among the brand consumers.
- Supply Side Emphasis V/S Demand Side Emphasis : In the conventional marketing techniques, a lot of emphasis is on Supply side as in what can be supplied, the same is marketed irrespective of the demand but incase of Social media Marketing, emphasis is on Demand Side. What people want, their demands and their needs, accordingly the product is customized. The most of social media marketing tries to find out what are the current requirements of the user and accordingly product is designed.
- Why V/S Why Not: Conventional Marketing techniques emphasizes on “why “ a particular product is launched, why a particular post should go live but Social Media Marketing has turned the funnel upside and now people think about “Why Not?” rather than thinking about “Why?”. The unlimited space and the right to put up anything and everything of social media has changed the way the industry is looking at.
- Linear Returns to Scale V/S Profound Network Effects: The Conventional Marketing technique may work at any point in time and can increase your margins by a percentage but the Social Media Marketing results into the profound effects. The ability of a user to connect with others and than sharing with rest of the people has given domino effects to any campaign. It could be positive or negative. It’s just that every small thing being entered in Social Media can reach to hundred’s and thousands of different people.
Social media marketing is not a replacement for other marketing tactics and we highly recommend that you continue to do what has worked for you in the past.Traditional marketing activities that still work for you, like advertising in a newspaper, sending direct mail and attending networking events, are still essential.However, for most, social media marketing is now a critical component of an effective marketing strategy.In fact, social media marketing works best when combined with other marketing activities, especially email marketing.